Monday, January 17, 2011

Fridge Remodel and a Happy Breakfast

I finally did it. I finally rid the fridge of all things crap! It's been no easy task and come Wednesday, I'll no doubt find myself rocking back and forth in the fetal position on the kitchen floor screaming, "WHY? WHY? WHY?" but for the moment, I'm feeling accomplished!

I owe many thanks to my good friend The Farmer's Market. I made the trek Saturday and for $14, scored a butternut squash, 2 grapefruit, 5 bananas, 3 apples, 1 red onion, 1 giant avocado, 2lbs of mushrooms, 2 lemons, 3 limes, 2 ginger roots, a bunch of cilantro, and 2 tomatoes. Not only did I get the exact quantities I wanted, but I also saved myself $20 in the process. No way the grocery store would've been that generous!

So now, I have given myself the task of eating it all before the week's up! It will be a bit of a challenge, but I'm up to it. I started by banning items from the crisper and placing all veggies on the main fridge shelf and all fruits in a bowl on the dining room table. Here we go day one! Taking a cue from SELF Magazine's Jump Start Diet, I had quite the fancy breakfast this morning. How's this for a Happy Meal?!



One grapefruit sliced in half and each half drizzled with honey. I stuck them both under the broiler about 5 minutes (until the honey started to bubble and the grapefruit began to brown). I had a leftover half of a whole grain pita so I topped it with crunchy almond butter and WAH-LAH! How can you not smile at that?!

I admit, this morning was my first attempt at eating a grapefruit.  It was definitely a struggle and if anyone can tell me how to eat one in less than an hour without dousing the dining room in juice, you will win the prize of being my best friend! 

And now, to ready myself for bootcamp.  Old Navy had a sale on workout gear recently and I took advantage of it.  No doubt the new threads will make me a badass champ in the weight room today!  Or the usual could happen and I'll be shouting "UNCLE!!!!" as soon as we've completed warm-up.  Either way, time to get movin'!

2 comments:

  1. a healthy happy meal! cute and that grapefruit looks yummy! when are you going to have me over for dinner?

    xoxo, becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost called you over tonight. Just sayin', you should so wish I had. See next blog post (and your e-mail).

    ReplyDelete