Sunday, July 24, 2011

Frabtastic Fanciness on a Plate!

I've never been a huge fan of crab cakes.  I've maybe had three ever and if I never ate another one, my life would not be incomplete.  However, due to my stepmother's allergy to shellfish, I've recently been introduced to what I like to call the Frab Cake.  I admit I am now absolutely obsessed with these delicious, delicious patties.  Packed full of veggies, thankfully lacking in fake crab meat, and at only 140 calories apiece, what's not to love?


Zucchini Crab Cakes (aka Frab Cakes):
3 cups coarsely grated zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (panko breadcrumbs work just as well)
1 egg
3 sliced scallions
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
3 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp plain yogurt (mayo or sour cream work just as well)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp butter
Olive Oil cooking spray

1: Place grated zucchini in a colander, sprinkle lightly with salt and let it stand for 30 minutes.  Press with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible.  Once it's fairly dry, you should have about 2 cups.  Place zucchini and remaining ingredients (except oil and butter) into a bowl and mix.  Form into 8 patties.
2. Over medium heat, coat skillet with cooking spray and add butter.  Add patties to the skillet and cook on both sides until browned.  Drain on paper towels.

Looks and sounds amazing right?!  Well tonight I decided to take it one step further and make Frab Cake sammies topped with Cool Cumber Sauce!  I'm still full from dinner, but as I write, my mouth is definitely watering for more.

Cool Cucumber Sauce
1 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 large cucumber, seeded and diced
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Chill.

 

Did I mention I could eat the sauce with a spoon?!  When making the sandwiches, you will only divide the frab cake mixture into 4 patties rather than 8.  On a whole grain sandwich thin bun, spread the bottom half with Dijon.  Top with Frab Cake and Cool Cumber Sauce and CHOW THE HECK DOWN!


No comments:

Post a Comment