Thursday, January 19, 2012

Running for Dinner

Whoops!  I missed a bootcamp session this week.  The guilt forced me to pull on my new fancy flashy shoes and run three miles over these two fancy flashy blue lit bridges as the sun went down.





In Actionville, this is as crazy as we get when it comes to elevation and it's left my calves screaming but my, it sure was beautiful!  Knowing I had some good eatin' waiting for me in the slow cooker at home helped move things along.

It's not often I whip out the crock pot, but with a crisper full of veggies that were thinking of going bad and stumbling upon a recipe that would use all of them, how could I say no?  So last night before I went to bed, I sliced and diced and stirred all the goodies, turned on the crock pot and let it do the cooking while I did the sleeping.  This is what I wound up with:





Whole Grain Pasta with Eggplant Sauce

1/2 medium eggplant
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 6-ounce can Italian-style tomato paste
4-ounces sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup water
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Black pepper
6oz cooked whole grain pasta (penne or rotini) 


Peel eggplant; cut into 1-inch cubes.  In a 3-1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine eggplant cubes, chopped onion, canned tomatoes with their juices, tomato paste, sliced mushrooms, red wine, water, chopped garlic and oregano.  Cover; cook on low-heat setting 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting 3 1/2 to 4 hours.  Season to taste with pepper. Pour sauce over cooked pasta; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.  Makes about three flippin' delicious servings which are low cal, low fat, but full of fiber and protein! Yum!

And now, I prop up my tired gams and relax. Happy Thursday!

1 comment: