Sunday, March 11, 2012

Harisa's Quinoa Salad

aka my camping savior during No Meat March!  My coworker and friend Harisa brought in this amazing salad a few weeks ago to share (apparently her husband and son only eat "real food" and this did not meet their criteria, so she had a ton of leftovers).  It was extremely delicious so I had to get her recipe.

Thursday night, I made a huge batch to bring along with the boy and I on our weekend music and camping adventure.  We stayed down south at a music festival that his band played for.  Normally, these sorts of events draw tons of hippies and therefore, tons of vegetarian/vegan food options.  However, this was so not the case this time around and apparently my gut knew it before I did.  This recipe definitely helped me get my fill of veggies & protein, eat delicious food, and not break my No Meat March challenge...again.  Yes, I broke it Thursday night at Krystals around 1AM after the boyfraaan's gig.  Being an almost-rockstar girlfriend is so hard, ya'll!  Luckily, the NMM diet is quite cleansing so I couldn't feel gross about it for too long and was immediately back on the wagon Friday morning!  Anyway, who cares about that?  You don't.  You just came here for the recipe!  But first, a picture! :)






Harisa's Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa, cooked & cooled
1 can of black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can of corn (optional--I did not take this option)
1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 - 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red onion, thinly sliced and rinsed under cold water
1 or 2 avocados, chopped into bite-sized pieces
juice of a lemon or a lime (or both if ya wanna be like me and go crazy)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper to taste

While the quinoa was cooking, I did all my slicing and dicing.  Since I knew I would be eating this all weekend, I squeezed the lemon & lime juices directly onto the avocado to keep them green for as long as possible (it worked).  Once the quinoa is cooled, just mix everything together, cover and chill for an hour before serving.  If you want to add a bit of a kick, it would be yummy to mix some sliced jalapenos in there as well.  Makes 6 - 8 delicious, delicious servings.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good and healthy! I am going to try this for dinner. My kids are so finicky, I hope they eat it (they don't like much other than cookies). They are 2 and 3. I like the jalapeno idea. I like a little kick to my food :)

    ReplyDelete