Sunday, March 4, 2012

No Meat March

So the scale at the gym appears to be broken.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it actually moved in the opposite direction it was supposed to last week, saying I've actually gained rather than lost weight since January.  I've yet to discuss this with my trainer, but I definitely think it's time they invested in a new one.  However, in the event that they do not replace the scale any time soon, I've decided to take on a bit of a challenge as a backup plan.  So far, I'm on day four:




Yes, ladies and gents, No Meat March is a 31 Day Challenge to Go Meat Free.  And yes, I've already been called crazy and un-American.  I am not the biggest meat-eater, but every now and then I love a good slice of bacon or 10 and I've had a severe chicken-wing craving on and off for about two months.  I am once again bidding good-bye to my late-night (post-bar) Krystals combos which is as exciting as it is sad (I'll miss you!).  Walking by the fresh-made fried chicken at the grocery store yesterday to grab my veggie sub was also a huge challenge.  Alas, I'm determined to make this the full month and better yet, to do it right. 

I am most excited to learn new things to cook.  I won't lie, I'm pretty terrible at incorporating fruits and veggies into my diet on the reg...unless wine counts--does wine count?  Because that's pretty regular!  My goal out of this challenge is not necessarily to become a vegetarian.  I'm not a huge fan of labeling myself anyway.  However, I would like to create better eating habits for myself, hopefully for good finally!  I'd love to be able to find healthy, balanced meals simple enough to cook and yummy enough to eat on a normal basis without me preferring to be lazy and order a pizza instead (dinner on day #1, breakfast & lunch on day #2).  Luckily, the NMM challenge also includes a jam-packed calendar of events to learn about different types of food and cooking classes.  My friends at Grassroots Natural Market were also a huge help with suggestions on tasty vegetarian alternatives to burgers and fried chicken (so I feel less un-American and crazy).  My inability to get to and from work without passing by their store also helps make things easier.

That being said, this month's blog entries are bound to be full of new and exciting meat free meals and tidbits of education along the way.  Get excited!  And for you full-fledged omnivores, I'll try to keep it entertaining and tasty enough for you as well. :)

And now, I'm off to the farmer's market!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment