Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C: is for Cardio



Ok, maybe there's not going to be a zombie apocalypse in the very near future, but who am I to just take my chances?  In the mean time, I'll hide my true motives for regular cardio sessions (zombies!) with much more widely accepted reasoning: health. 

Cardio has about a bajillion positive effects on your overall health.  It improves your ticker (of which most people only ever get one), strengthens your muscles and bone density, ups your energy, improves your sleep, beats the bulge, and is the best freakin' free therapy around! 

Experts suggest 150 minutes of cardio per week (30 minutes a day, five days) to get the most from its amazing benefits.  Know what's even better?  You don't have to set foot into the gym or succumb to a schedule to complete it!  Studies show that 30 minutes broken up into small spurts throughout the day provide just as much benefit.  It could be as easy as 10 minutes when you get out of bed in the morning, a 10 minute walk after lunch, and jumping jacks in between 2 commercial breaks during your favorite prime-time tv show in the evening!  Other suggestions:
  • Go for a jog or bike ride through the neighborhood. 
  • Pump up your favorite tunes and have a dance party in your living room.  
  • Chores! Raking leaves and vacuuming work just as well.  
  • Make sweet, sweet love!
  • Play like a kid outside: rollerskating, softball, H-O-R-S-E
  • Swimming
  • Hike along trails
  • Lunges or squats during phonecalls or 
  • Jumping jacks or situps during tv commercials
The possibilities are endless when it comes to fitting in that heart-pumping goodness into your day.  We weren't meant to always be sedentary.  Don't just stand there, bust a move!  And in the event that I'm right and we do encounter a zombie attack, you'll be ahead of the game!

12 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Enjoy to reading your posts! I'm working on the A to Z challenge too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me be the first to comment on your blog and sign up! I need more encouragement in the physical fitness department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, girlfraaann! It's so strange. I find myself so passionate about healthy eating and fitness, but find myself falling off the wagon quite often. I just try to remind myself that my desire to get back up and brush myself off makes up for all the times I go a little nutzo!

      Delete
  3. I love your blog! I really need to get up and do some cardio...seriously need to.
    Good luck on the rest of the challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great C post, we all need reminders to do what is best for ourselves.
    this is the link to my A-Z I made a page for just this
    http://www.astringofpearls.org/a-z-in-26-days/


    the googel sign in is kind of weird

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at ZOMBIES... it's a challenge to keep healthy even if were the walking dead.

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    A to Z Co-Host
    IZOMBIE: Visit the Madness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sayin', Zombie attack is NOT on my list of "ways to go".
      Also, not sure if you're a runner but if so, check this race out! http://runforyourlives.com/

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reading, everyone. And no one can say they have not at least CONSIDERED the possibility of having to outrun zombies! I'm pretty terrible at cardio so this is even a reminder to myself to get up and get my heart pumping if I have any hope for survival!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who mentions zombies is great in my book! :) It is very nice to meet you and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I love new friends! Thanks for reading, Lisa. :)

      Delete
  8. Great ideas...now to follow them. :-)

    ReplyDelete