Tuesday, April 10, 2012

H: is for Hiking

Yesterday, the boyfraaann and I decided to celebrate Easter outdoors with a 6.5 mile hike through the Smoky Mountains.  The weather was absolutely perfect and spring was in full bloom with beautiful flowers adding pops of color to the newly green trees and fields.  We caught amazing sights of hawks, rabbits, and even elk!  Living in Florida, I never realized how out of tune I was with seasons.  I've always only ever had two: Summer and February.  During our last mountain trek together, everything was brown and dead and I was a bit scared to come back.  Seeing everything so full of life this time around was simply amazing.

From a fitness front, hiking is apparently the way to a rock hard ass (judging by today's sore glutes). Between the buns of steel workout and the higher elevation, I definitely had trouble at times during the trek up.  Of course, I'm now considering race training in the mountains before coming back home to smoke the competition (I'm talking about you, big sister)!  The hard work definitely paid off when we reached the peak of our hike at the Jump Off and relaxed, our feet dangling over the edge into the abyss as we gazed out into mountains and valleys that seemed to go on forever.  For the journey, I am thankful for the hard work I've done to give my body the strength and ability to complete it.  For the view, I'm thankful for the one who made it and makes all things possible. 

A few Cliff bars and apples later, we decided to head back down the mountain and split the trip in half between walking and running.  I felt like a BAMF while running until I had to move over to make room for a guy actually running up the mountain.  BAMF title revoked and passed onto him immediately.  One day, I will be that awesome.  There we go!  Back to goals--I said it, I set it, you read it, therefore I must stick to it!

Ok, and I'm late for work (and late for posting H)! whoops!

14 comments:

  1. I like hiking, we dont have many places to hike around where I live though specially with any good scenery like your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I had to travel 464 miles and then some to get this! Times like these make me so glad to have my unofficial mountain getaway (aka boyfraaann's house). :)

      Delete
  2. So many lovely things to see when one explores the out doors! I like your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Stopping by for the A to Z Challenge. Great pictures.

    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live on a farm and have horses so the outdoor thang is what we love to do. We hike a lot, grow stuff, have chickens and other animals. I'm from the Keys though. So water was my thang growing up.

    Your pics are great. Lovely post. (My mother's name was Mabel)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! It's amazing what Flickr special effects can do for a subpar photographer like myself. :)

      From the Keys to the Farm? That's a complete switcheroo! How did you adapt? The one thing that scares me about (possibly) living in the mountains is missing the sea.

      Delete
  5. A great post. I love hiking or walking pretty much anywhere. It gives my time with my thoughts.

    All the best,
    Jack

    http://jackedwardspoetry.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking on flat land is what I'm use to and I'm totally all about it! Mountains and hills are pretty foreign to me and I find myself concentrating too hard on not falling on my head to let the non-filtered thinking roll through. Maybe one day. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks beautiful! Take me next time though? The slight detour to the UK won't be too much out of your way, will it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to stop into the UK! I hear there is even decent hiking that side of the ocean!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful views! So different from the hiking I have done. I climbed Mt. Whitney and it wasn't the miles that killed me but the altitude!
    Happy A-Z April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I bet that was awesome! One day I will make it out west for something like that. Altitude is definitely crazy for me! Growing up just off the ocean, I've only ever lived right at at or just below sea level. I feel like a wimp to admit it, but hiking more than a mile ABOVE it was definitely no easy task.

      Delete
  8. Hi Mabel - I laughed over your reference to getting a "rock hard ass" through hiking! Too true - after many long mountainous hikes I realized the same thing too!

    Great "H" post.

    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheaper than a gym membership with the same results!

      Delete